Monday, December 28, 2015

15 Favorite Images of 2015

As we paddled out onto the crystal clear waters of Baja's Bahia de Concepcion last January, little did Millie or I know what monumental changes were in store for us in 2015.


Cancer took Millie just 2 months later, and a month after that, I got my own cancer diagnosis.  Life is very different now at the end of 2015 than it was at the beginning-- not in a significantly better or worse way necessarily, just forever changed.

My photography took a bit of a back seat to the more urgent matters of life this year.  Not as much time and energy for tripods, dragging out the best (heavy) lenses and cameras, or enduring long waits or long hikes to get "the shot."

Yet, looking back over all of my 2015 images, I did manage to experience some pretty diverse scenes this year-- so without further adieu, here are my 15 favorites from 2015.  Enjoy!


Sunrise on the Bahia de Concepcion, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Pacific Ocean Sunset, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

My trip to Baja last winter was full of unexpected delights.  A new friendship blossomed with fellow Skinnie Winnie travel buddies, Hans and Ursula, who introduced me to their friends in La Paz, and some great adventures I would otherwise might not have experienced on my own such as snorkeling with sea lions, boating to Lands End with "Antonio Banderas," and touching gray whales!

I'm looking forward to more fun in the sun with them again in a few months!
 
After my rapid return to Illinois last May, I didn't think I'd have much time for photography, but a 3-week delay of my surgery provided a very welcome relief for a short escape to the very scenic Starved Rock State Park.

Behind La Salle Canyon, Starved Rock State Park, Illinois

Twin Falls, Tonti Canyon, Starved Rock State Park, Illinois

Hiking to La Salle Canyon, Starved Rock State Park, Illinois


I spent the rest of the summer alternating between my sister and brother-in-law's house, and 2 nearby county parks as I recovered from surgery and radiation treatments.  I am forever grateful for the healing love and support of my Illinois family and friends!

Fishing Pond, Burnidge Forest Preserve, Elgin, Illinois

I was fortunate to see my brother and his family in Colorado four different times this year.  In between the 2 Fall visits, I spent a few days boondocking along Highway 24 in the central part of the state.  Magical aspen colors there!

Aspen Grove, St. Elmo, Colorado

I returned to New Mexico in late September.  Just in time for the last "Blood Moon" lunar eclipse, and my first visit to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.
 
Lunar Eclipse over Little San Pasqual Mountain, near San Antonio, New Mexico

Preparing for Dawn Patrol, Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, New Mexico

Dawn Balloon Glow, Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, New Mexico


I've spent the end of Fall and beginning of winter volunteering again at Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge in central New Mexico.  Called by its enchanted light, its friendly people, and a few thousand magnificent sandhill cranes.  A wonderful place to finish the year and welcome a new one!

Happy New Year to you all!

Afternoon at the Rookery, Bosque del Apache NWR, New Mexico

Cranes on a Golden Pond, Bosque del Apache NWR, New Mexico

Morning Lift-off, Bosque del Apache NWR, New Mexico

Moonlit Very Large Array, New Mexico

Luminarias, Socorro Town Square, New Mexico





21 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing with us these lovely photos, so glad I stumbled across your blog this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures and a great summary of the year, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recap using pictures. With your full recovery we'll be looking forward to more dazzling shots along the way.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures, I always read your blog. I admire your courage, from traveling alone, to dealing with cancer. You do the research and move on. I have learned alot from you. Wishing you a health new year, and welcome to florida.
    Nina Brown

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, fantastic photos, they are stunning! Hoping you have a wonderful 2016.

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. And enjoy I did! I wouldn't want to have to pick a favorite out of those photos. They're all magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a rock and roll year for sure! So glad things are on the upswing and glad I'm not the only one that relives her year by going back through photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous fotos! Your blog is quite inspiring in all it's content. Hope 2016 brings you continued health and happiness as we continue to follow your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year, Lynne. You have weathered many changes and challenges this year and always with a grace that amazes me. I hope good things for you in this coming year and look forward to many more of your great posts and beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. About the time I would comment about what a great photo that was, the next one was just as good, on and on to the next one .... great photos. Here's to you for a fabulous 2016 with good health and many miles traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Imagine what you could do if your photography didn't "take a back seat"! These are incredible! Very well done for a year of back seat photography!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad I came across your blog this year while getting information on a trip to Mexico. Love reading your stories. Looking forward to more. Have a safe and happy 2016.
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! What a photo treat! Thank you!
    Wishing you a very wonderful New Year filled with new adventures and lots of lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed these just as much as I did the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those pictures are great reasons why we all travel:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynne - what a year you have had... we have been on the emotional wave with you and am so glad to see that the warm glow of loving memories is with you as you end your year. Happy new year to you and we hope we share a "waypoint" sometime soon!
    Imkelina, Michael and Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very well done pictures...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How can you possibly narrow it down to 15 shots? So many change in just a few months.....the ups and the downs, but you came out on the very top.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing photos, amazing year. Bless you. May this year be the most wonderful yet.

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Views!

Lynne's Camera Bag

Best RVing Stuff Under $50

Join Us On Facebook