Sunday, February 13, 2011

An Afternoon at Bosque del Apache

_MG_4530
Keeping with the “Apache” theme, after the Apache Trail, I headed to New Mexico with the main purpose of visiting Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge.  This rather small preserve, located just a few miles off of I-25 (and not too far from where the atom bomb was originally tested back in the 1940s), is the winter home to an amazing variety of birds.  It attracts birders and photographers from around the world, and rightly so.   This place was spectacular!

Within minutes of arriving, I came upon a small pond that was jammed packed with snow geese.  I’d never seen these birds before and spent the next hour just being amazed by them.

_MG_4238_MG_4261_MG_4279
I then began making my way around a loop drive.  As there was lots to see and photograph, but only a couple hours of prime afternoon light, I decided to forego the tripod and just shoot all pictures from the motorhome—thank goodness for my image-stabilized telephoto lens!
_MG_4297_MG_4300_MG_4301_MG_4302
Even though Mallards are very common in Illinois, I never saw them in such amazing light before…New Mexico made them very special!

The real attraction here, though, are the Sandhill cranes.  I was a bit late in the season here for them, but there were still many of them to be seen:
_MG_4355_MG_4431_MG_4502

One afternoon was simply not enough time to enjoy the magic of this place!  I will certainly plan to return for a longer stay next time!

1 comment:

  1. I really like the first two and the last picture on this post. The mountains reflected in the water really appeals to me. That's a lot of snow geese in the second picture. I don't believe I've ever seen them. I'd like to get back to New Mexico some day, particularly White Sands.

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Views!

Lynne's Camera Bag

Best RVing Stuff Under $50

Join Us On Facebook