Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The other sites of Taos

The super friendly owner of Taos Monte Bello RV Park pulled out a local tourist map while I was registering and gave me a full run-down on all the sites to see—the downtown plaza, the Pueblo, the churches, the Rio Grande bridge, and even the shortcut routes the locals take to get around the daily traffic jam downtown!

So during my time before and after work, I tried to do a few quick tours to see a few things.   The Rio Grande bridge was just a couple miles from the RV park and incredible to think that what looked so narrow a river here was so wide next to the river road I’d taken to get up to Taos!
IMG_6117-2IMG_6121

I quickly toured around the downtown plaza one night before all the shops closed:
IMG_6952IMG_6956IMG_6175

Also downtown is Kit Carson’s house, but unfortunately it was already closed for the night:
IMG_6172

Of course, what trip to Taos would be complete without a trip through Julia Roberts’ neighborhood!  Julia has a 100-acre ranch here, but sadly, she was out of town so I wasn’t able to bump into her at the organic grocery store!
IMG_6191

I didn’t have enough time to visit historic Taos Pueblo (they also wanted a pretty hefty photo fee to do so), so on my last morning in Taos, I visited the church at Ranchos de Taos that Georgia O’Keefe had painted and Ansel Adams had photographed, San Francisco de Asis Mission.  Wow!
IMG_6493-2IMG_6497-2IMG_6507-2IMG_6523IMG_6553

The buildings in the plaza surrounding the church are also on the National Historic Register and were just a vibrant:
IMG_6562IMG_6566

I really hope to return here again soon some day to spend more time in this wonderful place!

1 comment:

  1. Your lovely pictures reinforce for me why I'm moving back to the Southwest.

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Views!

Lynne's Camera Bag

Best RVing Stuff Under $50

Join Us On Facebook