Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cave Point

The weather forecast was looking good for a sunrise photo shoot, so I set my alarm early and pulled my big camera out for the first time on the whole trip (thus far, I had just been using my terrific little Canon S90 point-and-shoot).

I knew exactly where I wanted to watch the sunrise down on the southeast side of the peninsula.  Since there were no campgrounds nearby, I got permission to park overnight at the Sturgeon Bay Wal-Mart.

It was a pretty quiet parking lot at 4:45am when we left!

IMG_2305

I was actually the second car into the Cave Point County Park at 5:30am.  Another family had arrived to watch the Sunday morning sunrise as well, but they sat up on top of the rock ledge.  I, on the other hand, carefully hiked my way down the rocks in the pre-dawn light, camera, lens, filters, and tripod in hand.

Finally the sun emerged on the horizon and wow, was it worth the effort!  I’m not a morning person at all, but days like these really motivate me to set that early alarm clock more often!

_MG_3384-Edit _MG_3386-Edit _MG_3392-Edit

I went back to the RV to make breakfast and process my morning shots and rest a little bit. By mid-morning, Millie was ready for a walk, so we hiked along the cliff overlooking the rocks.  We arrived just as kayakers were exploring some of the sea caves!

IMG_2309 IMG_2313 IMG_2316 IMG_2326

The rocky shore I had photographed at sunrise also happens to be one of Millie’s favorite swimming spots because it instantly drops to deep water right off the ledge.  She had a great time!

IMG_2341 IMG_2342

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynne,

    Been following your blog since you posted it on RV-dreams. Sorry we missed you in Door County! I was traveling outside of the country for work the last 2 weeks of August - maybe next time! Your pictures are fantastic! Hope you were able to fit in a fish boil.

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Views!

Lynne's Camera Bag

Best RVing Stuff Under $50

Join Us On Facebook